Thursday, July 26, 2007

Pork Chops or Ham

Broccoli, and biscuits from a can.

Lots of cooking tonight - a retirement brunch tomorrow, and I volunteered to bring muffins. I wound up making 4 different kinds of mini-muffins: blueberry, banana nut, donut, and chocolate. The chocolate muffins are wonderful (at least I think so - everybody else in the house is kind of "meh.")

The chocolate muffins are from a recipe from the Fall 1984 (!) Williams-Sonoma catalog:

1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cups cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbs (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Butter the molds of a muffin pan. (I used canola oil spray in liners.) Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, sugar and baking powder into a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly then beat in the milk, vanilla extract, and melted butter. Add teh liquids to the dry ingredients and stir quickly. Spoon into the buttered molds about 3/4 full and bake in a 425º oven (I baked at about 375º) for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. (I never pay ANY attention to how long something is cooking. It drives TMOTH crazy.) Remove from molds immediately and serve with fresh butter.
Makes 24 muffins. (I'm not sure it will make 24 muffins - maybe 18? I made 36 mini-muffins and 2 regular size muffins from this recipe.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They'd better be good considering the recipe is a quarter century old.

Michele said...

A quarter century really isn't that old- my favorite cookbook is my Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, published in 1950, and I have (and sometimes use) a few that are older.