Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Crockpot pulled pork and coleslaw

http://www.crumblycookie.net/2008/05/30/crockpot-pulled-pork/

I made this today, and it was wonderful. I (of course) tweaked it a little bit.
1. I added about half a teaspoon of ginger to the spice mix; I also didn't have white pepper so just added extra black pepper.
2. The only pork shoulder at the grocery was about 4 pounds, so I used about half the spice mix, then let it sit overnight (I put the rub on last night after dinner, then started the crockpot this morning before work (~7 am).
3. I added back about half the cooking liquid, after skimming off the fat. And I think I probably added more BBQ sauce in the heating the shredded meat phase, but I'm not sure because I just poured it in until it looked right. I used Stubbs, and was happy with the results.

Very carroty coleslaw on the side, potato chips because I was too tired to make potato salad, and YUM. The only downside was the slaw dressing - I bought Marzetti's (again, the only kind at the grocery. Grrr.) and it's a little more vinegary than I like. OK, but not great. Any recommendations for a sweet dressing, or a recipe?

(As an aside, I shredded my thumb while making the coleslaw. I walked into the living room holding a paper towel around it, and when TMOTH looked a question at me, I said "I shredded my thumb." The Lovely Daughter just erupted - WHY WOULD YOU EVEN THINK TO SAY THAT! DON'T SAY THAT! SAY YOU CUT YOUR FINGER! It was highly amusing.)

No comments: