Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Chicken tikka skewers (and sides)

TMOTH made chicken tikka skewers before going to get the mid-kid for karate, then cooked them when we all got home. He didn't actually plan any side dishes, but luckily I'd decided to go to Grand Mart on the way home.

I love Grand Mart. It's a Korean-owned supermarket mini-chain, an ethnic extravaganza. But mainly they have better produce than the giganto-chains (we are stuck with Giant and Safeway here) at lower prices. I got lettuce ($0.99/lb vs. 1.99/lb), cucumbers ($0.79 vs. 0.99), grapes, cauliflower ($2.49 for a BIG head vs. 3.99 for a SMALL head), jicama, chayote, mushrooms ($1.29 vs. 2.29/8 oz.), rice, carrots, a small squash, and a honeydew.

I got the cauliflower dealt with tonight, as well as cubing and searing some meat for beef stew later this week.

ANYWAY, I sauteed the chayote (I'm the only one that eats it), made a yogurt-cucumber-onion shoot sauce for the chicken, chicken fingers for the pre-teen, biscuits, and sliced up the honeydew. At least I'm getting more fruits and vegetables in my diet.

No comments: