Saturday, March 24, 2007

Homemade yogurt and granola

I started the yogurt this morning. I put out a request through Freecycle, and have also been looking in the thrift stores, for a yogurt maker, just because it would automate the process. Right now I'm using the mason-jars-in-a-cooler-with-hot water method, and it requires changing out the hot water every hour to hour and a half. It's working though - I think that it could probably be "done" now after 5 hours - it's getting solid - but I think it might get more solid if I leave it the full 8 hours.

Once I started the yogurt I realized I needed granola, so I'm making it as well. It's in the oven and will need to be stirred in a couple of minutes. I had a moment of panic - I grabbed one of the big spice jars to put in the cinnamon and put in cumin instead. AAACK. Luckily, it was just in the oats, SO, I poured the oats into my big plastic colander and shook it like mad. It didn't taste heavily of cumin before it went in the oven, so hopefully all is well. When I did find the actual cinnamon, I put in rather a heavy dose, along with some nutmeg. I used this recipe for granola as a starting point. BUT, in addition to the heavy spices mentioned before, I also used nearly 5 c oats (when I added 4 c, there was about half a c left in the [new] canister of oats), didn't put in any almonds (not THAT keen on nuts in granola), and added a couple of tablespoons of sesame seeds.

I think the only chance I possibly have of getting the kiddos to eat this is to drink it, as a smoothie. I see smoothies in our future...

No comments: